First off, I would really like to thank everyone for the comments that were left on my last post! I thought that I might get a bit of flack for the things I said, but really most people seemed to agree with me so that makes me feel much better for laying it all out there the way that I did! You guys totally rock and I'm glad that I'm not alone in thinking that some of the stuff going on right now is pretty ridiculous.
Enough about that though, who wants to see my new quilt?! This little quilt is pretty simple - just how I like it - and I think that it is the colours that really make it!
"Get Stacked" features prints from Tula Pink's Nest collection paired with Kona Coal - I think the Coal really sets off the colours used in Nest and the contrast between them is even more beautiful in real life. I originally had a completely different idea for using up this Nest and was lying the prints on various solids to pick the right one; when I laid them out on the Coal I was struck by how well they worked together and decided to scrap my original idea and go for something a bit simpler.
The strips are all different lengths and widths so as to give a look of evenness without being actually symmetrical. I think this adds some visual interest to the quilt and creates breaks between the colours and prints that is anticipated but not wholly expected.
I quilted it using somewhat straight lines - that is to say that I used my piecing as a guide but did not force the quilting to remain uniform, I just allowed by walking foot to kind of do its own thing without straying too far from its original course.
The back is pieced using a large scale print from Nest, some Kona Medium Gray, and the strip dividing them is from Tula Pink's Plume collection. As you can see form this picture and the ones above I also used the Kona Coal for the binding because I didn't want to create a break on the front by using something different.
This quilt really was for me an experimentation of sorts and I really like the way that it turned out! It ended up finishing at about 41x42" and I used 100% unbleached cotton (Naturally Cotton I believe it's called) for the batting.
I've decided to put this little quilt up for sale in my Etsy shop to hopefully raise a little spending money for Quilt Market - less than two weeks away guys!!! I also have a few more bundles of destash to put up on Etsy but I'm not sure I'll get to that today.
Let me know what you guys think of my quilt - I'd love to know! Alright, off to work I go!